Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I'm done with my dad

So last night I was talking to my dad and I asked him about a little foster kid he used to have at his house after my brother and I had moved out. He told me she was a senior in high school and that she was to use his word "loose" I mentioned to him that where she moved the educational system was one of the lowest in the nation and so his response to that was "yeah she's been getting hit on by the blacks and she's liking it" I had no idea what to say to that. It was as if he thought that her being loose and the educational system being low can be blamed on "the blacks". I am amazed that he is this ignorant and I am amazed that he has the balls to treat me like that and then expect that I am supposed to be a well behaved little daughter. He is determined to input his opinion into my life in attempt to get me to change. He knows that I date black women and so he constantly feels the need to say the worst of things about black people. This is not the first time he has done something like this as a matter of fact he does this every time I talk to him and many times he is much more blunt and direct. I have gotten to the point where I am tired of it. I haven't decided yet but after 13+ years of him saying racist, homophobic things to me without regard to my feelings as if the displeasure of it will make me become the person he thinks I should be I am considering ceasing communication with him all together and just sending him a letter letting him know why. It has become too much drama to speak to him and listen each time to him say things about his dis-satisfaction with my life. It's as if he thinks the world revolves around him and that my entire purpose is to be what he wants me to be. Little does he know I am fine with who I am and I have no desire to change aside from natural maturation. I do not care to be constantly bombarded with what he thinks of my life or what he thinks I should do with it any more than he wants me to let him know what changes he should make in his. That is not either of our places as we are both adults who can take care of making our own decisions. The only time it should be of concern is if one or the other of us physically effects someone else in a negative and non consenting manner. It's not official but I have pretty much decided to cut him off-send him a letter explaining the decision-and let him know that I am only interested in a parent/child relationship with him where he accepts the fact that I am not going to change, that I know how he feels so he doesn't have to keep repeating it and therefore we can have a normal relationship where we simply have conversation about life without the abusive and condescending language. I hope that one day he matures as a parent so that we can both be grown together. A good parent matures in the relationship along with the child but occasionally there is a parent here or there who cannot accept the fact that their children have moved on and started their own life and tries to control their lives to the point of inappropriate interference. I am done with the interference and have come to terms with what will be lost when I end that interference. I am aware that it is all or nothing and I hope that he understands it will be all or nothing for him if he is to make his way back into my life.


Technorati tags:
, ,

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home