Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Atlanta Female Circumcision Case Stirs Concern

There is a guy here in Atlanta on trial accused of performing a circumcision on his daughter when she was two years old. I've been keeping up with this case a little bit and I think that the guy is innocent or at the very least that the wife and her mother participated as well. The media reports that I have heard mention that the girl recalls the scene from when she was two years old while up on the stand and shows little or no emotion. She also recalls much detail about the situation yet when asked about other things of importance that occurred when she was two she cannot recall any memories of those things. Of course I would expect that anyone would remember that experience regardless of the age that it happened, but probably with less details and with other memories of that age of life as well. The Psychologists that have been on the stand during the trial state that it appears based on the behavior of the child on the stand that she has been clearly coached. That is why I think that the mother and the grandmother at least participated in the event and now they are blaming the father in order to gain custody of the child. The father has continously cried in court and the mother and grandmother have been completely emotionless which seems odd to me. It is odd for a man to cry at all let alone in public and in my experience men from his region of the world don't readily show weakness such as crying lest they be at a funeral or something. I haven't heard anything about whether or not anyone has taken lie detector tests but whether it is admissable in court or not I think they should have to take one. The whole story is appalling no matter who did it but for some reason I don't get the feeling the whole truth has been told by the mother and grandmother in this particular case. I think that no matter who is guilty of this crime that the punishment should be equivalent to the crime. Unfortunately we have laws about cruel and unusual punishment in this country. Chime in with your thoughts on this and tell me what you think.


Technorati tags:
, ,

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home