Friday, November 10, 2006

Houston Company "Sets the Landscape" for Bigotry

A Houston landscaping company refuses to accept business from a lesbian couple. The Houston couple was accepting bids from multiple landscaping companies when they received an email from Garden Guy stating "I need to tell you that we cannot meet with you because we choose not to work for homosexuals." After receiving the message they forwarded it to 200 of their friends and a "landslide" occurred. People sent both hate and love messages to the landscaping company. I have to say that if I were the gay couple I would have been thankful for the information. Who wants to be stuck around people who hate you? Small businesses have the option to refuse service to anyone and there is not necessarily anything wrong with that. I am a small business owner myself and I have refused to give service to multiple people for reasons ranging from their house being too messy for me to be able to stand to them being racist. If I want to make less money in order to have more peace of mind that is what I will do. My problem with these people is that they say they have become "accidental crusaders for Christ." People all day long say things about homosexuals without knowing really what the bible says about homosexuality. Of course I have to also say that it is not helpful for the rest of us as homosexuals when these bigots received hate mail threats against their lives and their childrens lives. Those who sent them hate mail which lacked any sort of tact and intelligence just sent home the message that there are idiots in every rung of society. And I agree with an association of professional landscapers having policies against non-discrimination. I feel like if you want to be a member of a particular professional association then you should be required to follow their policies in order to obtain membership with the association in the first place. People should have equal rights no matter who they are and one of those rights is to refuse service to whomever they choose. It's just unfortunate that they have that privilege while people like us have to fight the government for our own rights.


Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , ,

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home